Dog grooming is becoming a more and more lucrative business venture in the current climate. With the adoption and purchase of dogs spiking in the UK during the COVID-19 lockdown people are struggling to get a regular grooming slot for their new pooches.
Not sure what being a Dog Groomer en- tails?…
You could work in a salon, at a client’s home, at a store or at a veterinary practice. Your working environment is truly flexible and allows you as a business owner to dictate this.
Day-to-day tasks as a dog groomer, you will:
- prepare the dog for bathing
- shampoo and dry the dog’s coat
- check for common disorders and parasites
- shape a dog’s coat with electric clippers or a stripping knife
- use scissors to trim and style the dog’s coat
- manage the dog’s behaviour while in your care
- keep accurate records
- Working environment
Skills and knowledge you’ll need:
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be flexible and open to change
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
With experience and qualifications, you could become self-employed and work from home or become a mobile dog groomer, visiting owners’ homes. You could also open your own salon or move into training.
The British School of Grooming provide a range of services that offer a route into high quality learning and skills development that help to increase learners’ employability and experience that fit with today’s industry needs. British School of Grooming is an accredited Open College Network (OCN) training centre recognised and regulated by Ofqual.
Our grooming courses lead by our experienced tutors provide students with high levels of confidence and support every step of the journey enabling you to start professionally grooming before the course has been fully complete!!
If you are looking for a change of career dog grooming is a growing industry, and an enjoyable and rewarding career.